Sunday, August 06, 2006

The MMU Melaka IV.

Yep. Thats what I was doing over the weekend. Although most of you already know that. It was a tournament I was kind of forced to join, but in the spirit of me, decided that I cannot screw the org comm over by debating like a noob. So I did what I normally do. And it turned out perfectly. 9th place out of 40 teams. 19th best speaker out of 80. Speaker ranking doesn't matter. What does matter is the fact that we placed 9th after 4 rounds. The best of the non-breaking teams. Prime position for a person like me. I don't think anyone had ever been happier at being so close to breaking, but not actually doing it. Everyone was bewildered at the fact that I was happy. Heh. When I told them that I placed 9th, they had this pained "Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about that" expression on their face. I didn't bother correcting them.

Why not? Because I had a really long discussion about it earlier on with some cyber dudette. I ended up being called weird, a coward, and a myriad of other unpleasant but politically correct stuff. Whatever.

The motions were weird to say the least. (For the unaquainted, THW stands for this house would) Started off fairly tame with "THW ban internet gambling". Then Kevin Massie started messing around with it, and we got "THW place NATO troops in southern Lebanon" followed by "THW make financial aid conditional on democratization". Right. Then I was told that the last topic would blow us away. Heh. Turned out to be a debate about supporting the teaching of gay friendly literiture in schools.

But nothing compared to the semis and finals motions.

THW assasinate abortion clinic doctors.

THW blow up the Temple Mount.

And I thought McCarthyism was bad. All in all, great tournament. Made me do a fair bit of thinking. Mostly on a personal level. Asking myself the hard questions. What questions? Never mind.

No comments: