Thursday, June 28, 2007

Teh SRC

And so the MMU administration saw it fit to charge us more for the library and parking. People got pissed off. The SRC decided to do something about it. The called a president's council and came to the agreement that everyone is pissed off. So they are now signing a petition to get the charges removed or reduced.

This is a story about my confrontation with them. I went to the Voices booth today and I was just sitting around when some SRC dude stood up on the table and started calling ofr people's attention. There was a petition form on the table and a huge white cloth behind them full of signatures. They wanted more support. I walked up to one of them and asked them if they had an official explanation from the library for the increase. They said that the explanation was coming on Monday. So I asked them why they were demanding a reduction when they didn't even know why there is an increase in the first place. They said that they were just doing what the people wanted them to do.

I found it really interesting that none of them considered the concept of credibility. If you get a big petition and submit it without actually stating a reason for the protest besides greed, what do you expect the admin to do? Take you seriously? Money is scarce. Actual grounds for protest will appear if the library does not have a legitimate reason to raise the prices. When it is clearly established that they don't, then you have the ammunition to take the fight to them. Having 1000 signatures on a piece of paper only proves that the move is not popular, it doesn't prove that the move is unjustified.

I tried explaining it to them and they said that I don't understand their position. They need to act because people want them to. Mob mentality. Genius. They said that most people don't think like me. Most people don't think so much. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me that.....

I'm surprised that they even think that it will work at all. They have no legitimate grounds for argument and its not really that difficult to brush them off. Which makes me wonder if they are doing this just to show that they are doing something or if they really want to make a change.

6 comments:

Clumsy said...

Its easier and much more efficient to learn how to make the mob move rather than understand why the mob moves. Can't expect people to understand your thinking when they don't even understand their own, right? =P Maybe we can even snatch a few quick bucks of our own if we started a pyramid scheme inside the university...hehe.
So how much chances that SRC actually does manage to reduce the charges that you think they have?

Siew said...

If the people don't know that yelling 'rabble, rabble, rabble' isn't going to work, then the SRC should. If they do, then they have a responsibility to find a way that will. Doing what the people want when its not likely to work is just plain reactive.

Is this going to work? I don't think so. Unless, of course the SRC manages to get the students to picket by the thousands.

Alex said...

Exactly what I`ve been telling them. Most of them just brush it aside either by saying, they are just helping out SRC or doing what the people wants them too.

We don`t need petition workers in SRC.

The irony is that even when somebody actually points to them what`s wrong..they simply choose to ignore it.

In'Saint Myne said...

The margin of increment on parking and the new library fees (1st time I saw in Uni) really annoyed me much, but what I've been annoyed is the petition to oppose it.

They don't have any reason to really ask for a petition but just tell people to sign, I hate the increment, but I ignored the petition, I think if I sign it will make me look like an idiot. Signing because I need to sign, just like they ask people sign because people ask them to do so.

p/s can sign a petition to ask SRC to get a legitimate argument from the department for us?

Clumsy said...

With no great sacrifices , comes no great success...hehe. If you think you can do better than what SRC is already doing, then go run for the election. We'll vote you =P

Just complaining about how inefficient SRC is without really doing anything is just hypocritical. Oh ya, what happened to the July 2 talk with the President, no news already?

Siew said...

Hypocritical? Maybe it is. But I do have a certain expectation of the SRC, however low it may be.

We all have the right to express dissatisfaction and I think its unfair to expect every person who takes a swipe at authority to take up the mantle and prove themselves. If that were the case, all political analysts and every person who write to the editor in any newspaper should be required to run for government.