Monday, January 28, 2008

Near walk out.

I actually felt this urge to walk out of class in the middle of a lecture today.

The lecturer was an old friend; if students and lecturers can be considered friends in MMU. Being a pal, he noticed someone he didn't recognize and asked the offending girl if she was part of the class. She replied no.

That was fine.

He said that he liked having non-registered students in his class. Especially if they were girls. Mechanical engineering joke. Little chuckles all over class.

Still fine.

Then he asked the guy sitting next to her, "Is she yours?"

I perked up.

Then he added, "Who does she belong to?"

Frown. I like that lecturer, I think he is one of the best the whole faculty has to offer. And I really didn't want to make a scene. But I couldn't deny that nagging sense of unease that I felt when he said that.

Sure, you might say that he was just joking about. Well, to me its not funny. I find it deeply insulting actually. Am I over-reacting? To most people around me, probably yes. But I live along very strange ideals that few bother to understand. In the name of tact, I play along. But as happy I am with where I am now, when things like this happen, I can't help but to feel that I was born on the wrong side of the world.

3 comments:

Alex said...

Considering the fact that almost every non-registered female student that`s in a (mechanical) engineering class are there to accompany their bf... even if the lecturer didn`t meant it as a joke, it`s fine.

(find one case otherwise..I`ll eat my words and take all this back)

Perhaps the word 'belong' sounds a little bit too much. But on a colloquial usage, it`s perfectly fine :) don`t you think so.

Siew said...

No. I have no problems with him making the joke that pokes fun at the general maleness of mechanical engineering. I don't have a problem with him assuming that she is there because of a guy.

I think I made it quite evident what I did have a problem with.

His choice of words betrays his beliefs. I cringe at sexist remarks the same way politically sensitive Americans cringe at the use of the word nigger. Sure, some people say that using those words brings no harm. I beg to differ.

KahJoon said...

i'm with you on this siew..if i were on the receivin end. i would have called him a sexiest right in front of everybody.