Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Teardrops on my guitar.

I never make music endorsements in public, and for good reason. I don't really think that I have a right to do so. But this song....

There is just something about it. Its sad, but it makes me smile. (not in a cynical way, I know what you're thinking) I can't really say that I particularly relate to it; it is after all about a girl pining for her friend who is seeing someone else. And I can't really say that I play the guitar either. And its sappy and uses a lot of the usual love song lines that song producers seem to love recycling.

I suppose ultimately, it does tell a bit of a story, and I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. I still listen to Stand (Eminem) and my favourite song from Music and Lyrics is the one that the washed up pop star sang to win the girl back, not the main theme song that the movie revolved around. And as atheist as I am, I love Hallelujah, the soundtrack from Shrek sang by Rufus Wainwright.

One thing though. I had no idea what Taylor Swift looked like until I saw the video. I imagined it to be a melancholic brunette strumming a guitar while sitting on a stool under a spotlight looking sad. What I got was a blond bombshell in an evening gown singing on her bed hugging her guitar.

Dude.

I guess I don't see the song the same way as the music video director.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

>I still listen to Stand (Eminem)
See? How would you have liked it, if I were to talk down on you, for liking Eminem (you like Eminem? lol you're such a REBELLIOUS teenager). I do believe this is the same case as you and your stance on them asians who love Japanese SUBculture (as if animu, mango and shitty pop music is part of their main culture. I still have goosebumps over how the Japanese cultural week was executed rather recently).

Siew said...

I wouldn't care if you think me a rebellious teenager. Thats your opinion, and you are entitled to have it. Calling me rebellious does not strike a nerve.

I'm just not too sure if those confused girls out there would be offended by a very pointed observation of a hypocrisy that they didn't know they were practicing.