Friday, July 28, 2006

The chinese and their apples..

A more accurate title would be 'the orientals and everything cutesy', but since this particular post came from a certain singer who calls herself apple, I suppose that would do just fine.

I'll probably draw the same old flak for saying this, because I am mentioning it and that automatically becomes an all out arieal offensive on a particular culture and way of life. It isn't. Its an observation.

My question is, why are the orientals so obsessed with all things cutesy? I'm not talking about fawning over babies or little puppies. That happens across cultures. But the orientals take it to adults too. 'Cute' adults (in a very literal sense) are considered attractive. The Japanese are probably the best examples of this, with restaurants having their waitressess dress up as schoolgirls and pretend to be innocent little kids who do not know the facts of life. Its apparent in their cartoons as well. The eyes are always dispropotionately big, just like in babies, and little children.

That is the Japanese approach to the whole thing. The chinese and Hongkees on the other hand do something different. They try cutesy names. I can't really remember many off hand, but they call themselves things like Dodo and Apple. Why? My mum has a colleague who sometimes introduces himself as apple. The dude is male. I know unisex names exist out there, but Apple just isn't one of them.

Why Apple? Because if you say it in a Chinese accent and in a cutesy wootsy kind of voice, you could actually make it sound cute. Unlike mango or kiwi. That cannot be cutesyfied. But Apple can. Problem now is, you are basing the name on phonetics. Its your name because it sounds nice. To the hell with what it means or the connotations that come with it. Right. I suppose people can do whatever they want. They aren't hurting me by doing what they do. Except maybe the sharp pang of pain I feel for humanity whenever I see something like this happen. (I know I promised I won't attack... just this once).

This is one of those quirks that people have that make life interesting. Those same people probably pity me for being so unimaginative that I have decided to stick to the name that my parents gave to me. People have their views. Whatever.

5 comments:

Alex said...

mango and watermelons are already being used ler :) outdated... lol

Hurry up, blog about australs.. can`t wait...

Siew said...

Really? Geez.. Worst than I thought.

Australs posts will come.. Patience young one.. heh

eyries said...

=D Rainy, Windy, Snow,(Sunny not included, cox it's an old name), Boy, and one more I came across on a name card, his name is Very Ong. I suppose the name he chose compliments his surname. "Ong" as in the meaning of "luck".

And "apple" is pronounced as "apper" in the HK style. Kawaii nee? *bleh*

Clumsy said...

hmm...does Soya sound kawaii enough? If not i change to something else...any suggestions? : )

Siew said...

Soya is not cute. (I refuse to use the word kawaii). And no, I do not have any suggestions. You turning yourself into a cutesy dude is a very scary thought. I'd rather it didn't happen.