Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Picking fights.

This post is something that has been simmering for a long time, I just never actually understood the simmering well enough to recognize it for what it is.

Learning to pick the correct fights is a skill that I have always misinterpreted. I thought of it as choosing to fight when you can win, battles that you have a statistical chance of coming out on tops. It took me some time to realize that its far more important to choose my battles for the right reasons.

Maybe its in my nature to be somewhat combative. I've been at odds with my natural aggression before, sometimes blaming it for the way my life turned out. The 'if only' arguments are far too familiar. But its a bloodlust. It rises without me realizing it, taking over part of my conscience. I live for this kind of thing. I thrive on it. It gives me a high like nothing can. Left to be unleashed without any limiter, I picked fights that I didn't really give much thought to. In retrospect, I probably wouldn't have done it.

I could be very vague with this blog post. But not this time. I think this time I will use specific examples.

The examples that shine the brightest all happened in the SPB. Don't ask me why. It could be because I was a writer unleashed at that time, or because there were people there that eventually helped me to make more sense of fighting.

I think the fight that I never really wanted to pick was with SPARC. True, I do somewhat hold their ideals in contempt, but my intention was never to go to war. I do not regret writing that article, and the ideas that I expressed in that article are still opinions that I keep. But as I looked at the reasons I wrote the article, I realized that it wasn't really to promote any change or to inform. It was to show how much the organizers' objectives were indefensible on an intellectual level. It was meant to humiliate. The intentions were not noble at all, and I took moral high ground. It became somewhat apparent when I went to meet with the organizers with Sangheetha. I realized then that there was something wrong, and I froze. In doing that, I left my editor in chief without backup against a pack of defensive, snarling, offended SPARC members. I never said this before, but I'm sorry. I wrote that article, and it should have been me defending it.

There were other occasions as well, especially when it came to sticking it to authority. I seized every chance to take a swipe at STAD, whether it was warranted or not. My thinking was simple. I came up with the conclusion that STAD had no idea what the students are capable of and that their one and only objective was control. To a large extent, that is true. But when I found myself throwing punches even when there was no reason to, that same creeping feeling that something was wrong came back. Sometimes, they really are trying to be helpful. They aren't always deserving of hatred.

Perhaps it was ego that stopped me from rethinking all of this earlier. Maybe it was fear of the repercussions.

But the biggest conflict that this had led me into is the splinter in the SPB. In that case, it looked increasingly like there were two sides, and it was obvious which side I was going to have to pick. It was then that I went into fight mode. My single minded objective was to destroy the enemy, till the point that the reason for the war was lost to me. The same funny feeling came back, and showed a little when I found myself admitting that I would do nothing but keep the organization running as it was. I think that publishership became something I had to deal with in the event I won the war. The objective was to win, nothing else. The ideals I was fighting for got lost in translation. I'm not saying that those ideals weren't worth fighting for. I just needed to give them a little more thought.

I think I have learnt that now. Above all else, the reasons I fight should be kept in mind. Only then will I be able to trust myself to do the right thing.

5 comments:

Althras said...

Lulz. Fortunately, it isn't just a problem that you have. In all three cases, your opponents (SPARC, STAD, and the other side of SPB at the time) was in the same mode.

The SPB leader then would be the first to admit that he was all gung-ho out to defend himself, rather than hold a discussion about what's good for the organisation. Probably why he was dismayed (at least slightly) when he heard what I had to say.

And no, I disagree with you. If you had become Publisher that year, things would've changed. No two leaders run organisations the same way. And SPB needed one who knew passion for news and writing. Desperately. Even now.

Alex said...

I`m rather curious what prompted all this, to write this article at this moment. and what do plan to do after this.

And Wil`s right. SPB needed one who knew passion for news and writing. Even now.

Siew said...

What prompted this? A little process I call growing up, something that people take for granted. I don't plan to do anything. That was in the past.

And as much as the SPB needed a writer, I think you guys have missed the point. Take a war analogy.

Ideally, I would have won with the crown firmly in sight. I needed to fight for change because I believed that change was needed, not because of some reflex that I gave in to. If I had won, someone would have passed me the job description after that and I would have sighed at the responsibility. The point to my fighting would have been lost after the win. The enemy is beaten. But the point of the war should have been what happens after. Ideally, I would have ripped the job description out his hands and taken the responsibility with pride. I wouldn't have.

The end result might not have been all that much different. But the process of getting there is important. At least to me.

KahJoon said...

So what u're saying is, win the war to get the change u want and then leave it at that without taking any responsibility? isn't it like going to a war with a country to get to change things and after winning just leave the country to fend for itself? is not that selfish?

Siew said...

No. I'm saying that you should fight for change, and keep that objective in mind at all times. Fighting for the sake of fighting should not happen.

I would not have walked away from my responsibility, but I probably would have taken it somewhat reluctantly. And to me, thats just as bad.