Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Yes, a political debate happened in Malaysia. Guess what? I don't care.

Okay, so I have gotten a good number of people getting excited over the debate that happened between Anwar and the information minister, and they were all somewhat puzzled by my lack of interest. And because I don't really see a reason to be surprised at all, I'm writing this.

What happened in the recent election wasn't a political tsunami to me. Sure, I got all excited over the results, but that was because I didn't think that something like that would happen. Once reality set in, however, the outlook changed somewhat for me. I see Malaysia going back to the way it was eventually.

Personally, the change that everyone is talking about is overhyped. The reason I say this is because all the avenues that allowed for Mahathir to rule the way he did still exist. They were not exercised this election around, for one reason for another, but I really see no reason why the oppression of the past will not return in the near future. (In about 2 years if you believe our holy leader)

My personal sentiments are not particularly patriotic, and thats because I'm pretty cynical about this. The odds don't look good for the pro-'competent democracy' camp.

And yes, I am getting very tired of all the mudslinging that has been going on. The conspiracy theories are all very interesting, but there is only so much of slander and name calling that I can take.

I suppose the difference between me and the rest of the Malaysian blogsphere is that I never really paid much interest to all this to begin with, so I have very little interest to lose.

No comments: