Thursday, October 05, 2006

The jack of all trades.

I'm not much of a jack of all trades, to be frank. To be a jack of all trades, one has to be reasonably good at everything. I cannot draw or sing to save my life (doesn't stop me from bursting into song when I'm alone in the car though) =P. Speaking of driving, I'm not much of a driver either. All the correct lines to take when turning don't really come naturally to me. I'm not cut out to be a Schumacher (although the dudes in school used to call me Siewmacher).

Problem is, I'm also a master of none. I don't really master what I'm given. Of course, one could argue the relativity of mastering something. I tend to look at the pinnacle of things to determine my level of mastery. If I'm not one of the best, then I haven't mastered it at all.

So, lets look at the things that I do. I study engineering. Have I mastered it? Hah! Hardly. And I don't think I ever will. I just don't have the single minded drive required to become a good engineering student who will graduate top of the class and move on to discover the next theorem in beam analysis. I always wish I was studying something else whenever I pick my notes up. But I know that if I were doing anything else, I'd be dying for some subjects from engineering. I look back at my biology textbooks now and wished I know more. Its the same for accounts (albeit to a lesser extent). The law facinates me, but I know that once I need to deal with the nitty gritty of law, I'd run back to my numbers.

I write too. But I'm not much of a writer. Not good enough to be published anyway. And looking at the comment count on my posts, I'd say that even when provided for free, nobody wants to read what I write. (hint hint) I don't normally have anything particularly interesting to say, and I know that people have better things to do than to read the ramblings of pupating mind.

I don't debate particularly well either. Probably becasue I don't take it as seriously as I should. So I can't really say now can I?

On another note, if there is one thing I'm trying to do now, its to not take things in absolute. It really doesn't matter if I am not the best at anything. I don't have to be. Purpose isn't defined by being at the top anymore.

1 comment:

Alex said...

not getting comments doesn`t mean no one`s reading.

Get a tracker of something.. U`ll know what I meant.

Btw... Sunday play lantern la :(