Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A silly little gripe.

I was glancing through the newspapers yesterday when I came across the report about some politician in Klang and how he is currently embroiled in contraversy. I can't remember his name and his exact designation off hand because political scandals tend to be a bit boring to me.

I kept flipping and somewhere in the 'NEWS' section of the paper was an article by this Feng Shui master who went to this fallen politician to give him some advice. This master is a regular columist in the Star and decided that the dude could use a little help. Funnily enough, the politician listened. And I thought Muslims did not believe in this kind of stuff.

Anyway, that isn't the main issue. What I found slightly disturbing is the fact that the Star printed it in the News section of the newspaper. While I'm not a particularly avid practicioner of Feng Shui, I do respect the right for people to believe in it. You can have your column and write all the books you want, I'm not going to say anything. But to put that article in a section that is meant for factual reports seems a little off to me. I see Feng Shui as a lifestyle. In this society, a little like religon. Some people believe it, some don't. I can't quite understand why the article has to be in the news section when he could have quite easily saved the story for his column.

I know its a stupid gripe. I guess I expected too much form the Star. I've been told that its tabloidish and that it isn't much of a newspaper. I guess they were right then. The Star is becoming a lifestyle magazine.

No comments: