Wednesday, October 24, 2007

TEEN Choice award


Thats right. Hugh Laurie is Fox TV's teen choice for best actor. Quite and achievement, really considering he had the likes of Jared Padalecki (the dude from Supernatural), Milo Ventimiglia (the pussy power stealing dude in Heroes) and Wentworth Miller (bald, genius civil engineer from Prison break). Its weird just seeing his name up there.

The article that informed me of this postulated that House's rebellious nature has something to do with the win. Teens relate to him. I guess I do too.

I always wondered why I liked the show so much. Was it because of all the clever lines? Was it House's atheistism and cutting remarks towards the religious? Or is it really because he is such a rebel?

I think its a combination. I am a bit of a rebel, my disregard for authority having caused other people grief at some point or another. But I have always differentiated my rebellion form the typical teen's rebellion, partly because my personal growth seems to have happened in reverse. I'm mostly now trying to grow down (if that terms actually exists), but that idea has been visited many times before.

We can't dismiss the role of the script either when it comes to deciding what makes me watch the show. I love watching Top Gear, but Fifth Gear bores me to sleep. Both shows are about cars, so we can quite safely say that it isn't a passion for motoring that keeps me watching the show. I love it when Jeremy, Richard or James takes on an American car, because then I can expect the usual witty but incredibly scathing reviews. For some reason, singing the praises for a car isn't quite as funny as insulting the crap out of it. And their lines stay with me. Apparently, the most memorable part of my Oh My God rant was the burning my nipples off bit. Well that line came straight out of Jeremy's mouth.

Whatever it is, David Shore has done me a great service. And for his portrayal of House, Hugh deserves every award he gets.

No comments: