Saturday, October 06, 2007

The triangle

The only illumination in that room came form the fireplace, the tiny flame dancing about to the tune of the firewood fuel. The chambers were finely furnished, as one would expect from a space occupied by a princess. She sat on her velvet chair, leafing through the book that sat on her lap.

A sudden creak of a window opening startled her. She looked up, and saw a black silhouette slide in through the opening, then turn around to close the window. His movements were precise and self assured, but his eyes betrayed his predicament. He was racked by nervousness, constantly calming himself, and checking that he doesn't mess up.

She rose from her chair and broke into a half run in his direction. He took his own steps toward her, arms open in anticipation. He could see her face more clearly now, the strain in her eyes becoming evident as he drew closer. It was then that he started feeling guilty all over again, having put her through such a trial. His constant reminders to himself that what he did was necessary didn't seem to matter anymore.

They hugged, as they always have before this. He didn't dare go any further with her, not wanting to risk pushing her away completely by giving in to instinct. She looked up at him as she broke the embrace. "I got your letter. Its all very confusing for me to say the least."

He nodded in comprehension. "Sorry. I didn't mean to do that, not on the very eve of your examinations."

She kept silent. "I just can't help but to feel that fate is working against us. If only we could have met earlier."

He knew that was coming. "You know I don't believe in fate. All that matters is what you want," he replied.

"But I made him a promise. I can't back down after I have given him my word now can I?"

"I don't understand what the two of you had, or what you agreed upon. And I'm not sure I want to. But I know that we sometimes have to make difficult decisions. All is fair in love and war, remember? I don't think that you breaking that promise makes you evil or morally corrupt in any way. These things happen all the time. I know its selfish of me to do this, but I hope you understand. I have to do this."

He continued "Its all very sudden, and I know you need time. But whatever you choose to do, I will respect the decision. As long as you would have me as a friend, I shall be one. All I ask is to be given a chance."

Having said that, he turned around and left, disappearing into the darkness of the night.

1 comment:

Alex said...

fiction eh...