Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Goodbye England.

The score says it all. England 2 - 3 Croatia.

When it all started, England looked like a shoo-in to the finals in 2008. A string of screw ups later, they have been dumped out of the competition.

I'm not whooping in joy at the English failure. But I don't mourn for them either. I think that they are the most overrated team in the world, partly because their league is marketed so well.

They lost to both Russia and Croatia. Both teams have players that I can't even name. Yet they beat a team whose players I can easily identify. If that isn't proof of overhype, I don't know what is.

The pundits are harsh, especially the English ones. Every last one of them has declared the English team undeserving of a spot at Euro 2008.

For me, all this means is that the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Wright Phillips, Rooney and Beckham are not as good as the football pages and EPL pundits would like to paint them to be.

No comments: