Saturday, November 24, 2007

I wonder...

A couple of years back, the Black Eyed Peas hit the scene. Everyone was introduced to 'Where is the love' and for a while, I actually listened along happily. Then they started showing what they were really about. Completely meaningless lyrics sung to catchy tunes. Reminds me of the joke that Chris Rock told about rap music. Women who love rap music don't care about the lyrics. For them, if the beat is right, they will dance all night.

Black eyed peas lyrics makes me want to put an ice pick through my skull. The problem is, I also notice that there are other artistes that sing stuff just as dumb as they do, but I don't feel any murderous impulse when I hear them. Snoop dog, 50 cent, and to a lesser extent, Sean Paul, they all rely on the beat and the cool factor to sell. But I don't hate them. In fact, I actually like some of their music. Okay, maybe not Snoop Dog, but the rest are passable.

Here is a line from Timbaland and Keri Hilson - They way I are

I'm about to strip and I'm well equipped
Can you handle me the way you are?

Blatant references to things impolite. Things that will make most people cringe in everyday conversation. Yet, I love this song.

And for some comparison here is the song by one of the BEP members gone solo.

If the girl real pretty,
Nine times out of ten,
She pretty like her mama.

And if her mama real ugly,
I guarantee ya she gon’ be ugly like her mama.

Everytime I hear this, I change the station.

I wonder what the difference really is. It can't be the complete disregard for general politeness and gender political correctness. Snoop dog is as misogynistic as rappers get, and yet I don't hate his music enough to avoid it.

It can't be the stupidity of the lyrics either, because I've heard lyrics just as stupid, and had no problems with it. Hey Ya by Outkast is a perfect example of this. Lend me some sugar, I am your neighbour? Shake it like a polariod picture? It doesn't get any more senseless than that, yet I have no problems with that song.

Then I thought maybe it was because I had a problem with Fergie being a sellout to the whole female gender, making me have a problem with her, and by extension, the people associated with her. I mean, she did introduce us all to her humps, her lovely lady lumps. But the pussycat dolls ask you to 'loosen up their buttons', females acting totally trampily. Yet I don't really have a bone to pick with the dolls.

As of now, I'm content to leave it as 'I just have a problem with you, never mind why'. But I'm still pretty damned curious as to why. Any ideas?

2 comments:

Althras said...

Perhaps you first saw them as an intelligent bunch with something to say through their songs. Their subsequent disappointing brainlessness has caused a disconnect in the association your brain has made. Hence the loathing. It's like how you don't mind assholes around you, but you get really worked up when someone you respect turns out to be an asshole.

Siew said...

Could be.. But I have a new theory. The very same factors that make the BEP so successful is the same things that piss me off. Soul and passion for what they do. I think it might just be the fact that they seem to be so in tune with what they say, and actually seem to sound like they believe that what they say is the truth. I don't seem to get that vibe from anyone else.

I think anyone who actually believes that 90 percent of ugly women have ugly mothers is a complete idiot. Will.I.am seems to believe it...