Friday, September 01, 2006

Pull tea column and why I love it.

I love sarcasm. That probably a major understatement on my part. Whatever. I do appeciate a certain level of intended condensention in a piece of writing. Which is why I love the teh tarik column that pops up once in a while in the Star. It highlights things that I missed when I skim through the papers everyday.

This week's agenda? A politician endorsing mat rempits and RM 48 million being spent on customs officer's uniforms. I had no idea such things had happened, really. So I went to the online archives and found the article on the rempits. Apparently, these biker dudes are misunderstood and are one of our country's biggest assets. They claim that their patriotism has been misrepresented. Well, let me clear things up a bit. There is a world of difference between crazy flag waving dudes on bikes and illegal street racers. If they want to wave the Malaysian flag around once a year in huge convoys then so be it. But what we cannot have are these illegal racers zooming about civilian cars in the middle of the night. Here's a description of what its like. You driving in your car and you are suddenly surrounded by a bunch of asmathic sounding bikes screaming for all their little engines are worth. They taunt you. They get a high from almost causing an accident. They scream "whoohooooo". I think you get the picture.

What kind of lunatic will hope that these people will one day lead out country? How compeletly misguided do you have to be to make such a statement? I know appealing to your voter base is important, but endorsing organized crime? Come on. You are the Putera UMNO chairman for the love of God. I'm supposed to be able to look at you and say that I respect you.

Oh, and then there is the issue of RM48 million for uniforms. 700 bucks for a baton? Why the hell do you need a bloody baton in the first place? And seriously, I would have thought that such a scandal once exposed would have created an uproar. Did we see one? Nope. Nada. Zilch. These people are going to get away with a little slap on the wrist. Or if there is going to be some real investigation, we will never know about the outcome. Because the government always has to be in control. Sigh.

If any of you are interested.

Mat Rempit our assets.
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/8/31/nation/15296976&sec=nation

Teh Tarik column
http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2006/9/2/lifefocus/15281785&sec=lifefocus

No comments: